2020 Nanjing International Writers Residency Program: Open Call
This program was established to improve the creative capacity and multicultural understanding of talented writers from world cities with strong literary traditions, particularly Creative Cities of Literature. Each year, six to eight authors from participating cities will be selected for a one-month residency program in Nanjing. Activities will be organized during the program to help visiting writers learn about different aspects of local culture, better understand local literature, and gain creative inspiration from these new experiences. Public events such as book readings and author discussions will be held. During the residency program, writers will engage in writing literary creations based on their experiences in Nanjing. Chinese translation of the new works will be published on local media platforms at the end of the program.
The program in 2019 has attracted six young writers, literary translators, and poets from France, Ireland, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States. Works produced have been translated into Chinese and published in Jinling Magazine.
Who Can Apply
Nanjing (Province of Jiangsu, China)
Duration of Residency (flexibility for the chosen candidates, depending on the pandemic situation)
Season 1 - September
Season 2 - October
Season 3 - November
Two resident writers will be selected for each season.
- A CV to cover the applicant's personal information, education, employer, literary works published, literary awards and China (or Nanjing) visits experiences if applicable;
- A cover letter on motivation to apply and interests about Nanjing/ China;
- A sample extract of published works: extract from a published text (in Chinese or in English) or sample of a translated text (English to Chinese or Chinese to English).
Criteria of Selection
- Interest for the city culture of Nanjing and willingness to engage in the local cultural circle;
- A recommendation letter from a literary institution/association based in the applicant's residence -country;
- At least three years of professional writing;
- at least one published literary work or equivalent piece of work;
- Sufficient capability in communication in oral and/or written English language.
Terms of Residency
- Participation at local literary activities, including literary salons, author readings, interviews, citywide cultural events and other activities coordinated by the host institution;
- Meetings with students and teachers at local universities to discuss creative writing and share personal experiences;
- To provide a literary text inspired by the residency. The host Nanjing Literature Centre will enter into a licensing agreement with the Resident writers for the purpose of using the text in electronic as well as printed version.
Funding and Support
- Round trip transportation expenses (international and domestic flights at economic class; CRH train transportation within China)
- Accommodation during residency, including bedroom for one and a studio/ work station;
- Stipends of approximately USD 800 (to cover expenses on local transportation, dining, communication, etc.)
31st July 2020